Building Department

Helpful Documents


Mission Statement

The Prospect Building Department promotes the general health and safety of the residents of Prospect, to assist the citizens with the code and permit process, to work with developers and contractors in achieving their goals and work with other town departments for a coordinated effort.

We believe in equitable treatment for all individuals regardless of circumstances and strive to enforce all building codes in a fair and considerate manner. Through education and cooperation, we believe we can and will build positive working relationships within the building community, consumers and citizens alike.

We strive to achieve these goals and contribute to the overall mission of the town by:

  • Administration and compliance of the codes and standards adopted from the State of Connecticut that regulate building construction.
  • Provide information to the public and to assist them in understanding and the application of the adopted codes
  • Insure that those individuals and companies that do business in the town meet the regulatory standards set forth in the building codes for the business and occupation in which they are operating.

Thank you

DISCLAIMER:  Chesprocott and Zoning approvals are required prior to applying for building permits  for garages, additions, decks, pools, Accessory Living Units and sheds.  The Building Department also requires a plot plan showing the location of the building  and construction drawings with dimensions for the project.


Click below to view or apply for a building permit


FOI Act Request Form

Building Inspector
Seth Flynn

(203) 758-4461
Mon, Wed ,Fri:
9:00am - 1:00pm
Tue, Thur:
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Email the BDLG Inspector

Electrical Inspector
Anthony Richard, Jr.

(203) 758-4461
Mon, Wed, Fri:
9:00am to 1:00pm
Tues, Thurs:
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Email the Elec Inspector

Building Department Clerk
Elizabeth Petro

(203) 758-4461
(203) 758-4466
Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
9:00AM to 1:00PM
Tuesday, Thursday:
1:00PM to 5:00pm
Email the BDLG Clerk

Whats Required for a Permit

To view the document click here


  1. Chesprocott Approval
  2. Zoning Approval
  3. Building Department Requires:
    • Set of Drawings
    • Copy of Contractor’s Driving License
    • Copy of Contractor’s License
    • Copy of Insurance
    • Owner Authorization
    • Taxes are Paid
    • Fire Marshal (Required only for Commercial Property)


  1. Copy of Contractor’s Driving License
  2. Copy of Contractor’s License
  3. Copy of Insurance
  4. Owner Authorization
  5. Taxes are Paid


  1. Two Sets of Drawings & Two Plot Plans
  2. Health District Approval
  3. Zoning Approval


  1. Two Stamped Drawings & Two Site Plans
  2. Health District Approval
  3. Zoning Approval

The Application will go into a processing form. Please give your contact details on the permit so we can contact you if we need more information to be submitted. Thank you in advance.

To view / apply for a building permit, please click here


Work Exempt From a Permit

To view the document click here

Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws, statutes, regulations or ordinances of the town, city or borough, or the State of Connecticut. Permit shall not be required for the following work:


  • One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).
  • Fences not over 6 feet (1829 mm) high.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 3 feet (914 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Sidewalks, driveways and on-grade concrete or masonry patios not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work not involving structural changes or alterations.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are equal to or less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
    Swings, no habitable tree houses, and other playground equipment.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
  • Repairs that limited to 25% of the roof covering and building siding within one calendar year.


  • Minor repairs and maintenance: a permit shall not be required for minor repair work, including replacement of lamps and fuses or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
  • Listed cord-and-plug connected temporary decorative lighting
  • Reinstallation of attachment plug receptacles and devices but not the outlets therefor.
  • Replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices of the required capacity in the same location.
  • Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus, or equipment operating at less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than 50 watts of energy.


  • Portable heating or cooking appliances with a self-contained fuel supply.
  • Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
  • Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


  • Portable heating appliances with self-contained fuel supply.
  • Portable ventilation appliances.
  • Portable cooling units.
  • Steam, hot- or chilled-water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by Chapters 18-24, inclusive of this code.
  • Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
  • Portable evaporative coolers.
  • Self-contained refrigerant systems containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.
  • Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


  • The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste, or vent pipe; provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective, and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained, and inspection made as provided in Section R105 and R109 of this code.
  • The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

R105.2.1 Emergency repairs.

  • Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.

R105.2.2 Repairs.

  • Application or notice to the building official is not required for ordinary repairs to structures, replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles. Such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.

R105.2.3 Public service agencies.

  • A permit shall not be required for the installation, alteration or repair of generation, transmission, distribution, metering or other related equipment that is under the ownership and control of public service agencies by established right.


To view / apply for a building permit, please click here


Swimming Pool Safety

Building Code Requirements for Swimming Pools Essential to Safety of Children

A FENCE must enclose pools containing 24 or more inches of water depth at any point. Construction of a fence is the responsibility of the owner of the land which has the swimming pool on it.

Exceptions are made only when an above-ground pool is four feet or higher from the ground at all points. However, when a portable ladder is used for entry into this pool, thus making it accessible to small children, a fence with self-closing and self-latching gate is required. Latch must be 48" high on inside or 52" on outside.

It is possible in such a case, to enclose only the access area to the ladder, removing access to the above-ground pool to small children.

When an above-ground pool is on land that varies in grade, allowing children access at one point, a fence attached to the pool where it is less than four feet from the ground, will comply with the code requirements.

The code is very specific about the required pool enclosures, the acceptable design of fence, gates and latches. It states that "the enclosure shall be not less than four feet above the underlying ground. All gates shall be self-closing and self-latching, with latches placed four feet above the under-lying ground".

It requires also that "the fence around the pool shall be sound and secure and of sufficient strength to restrain children from entering the pool. The design of the fence shall be as such that young children cannot climb it and a sphere with a diameter of four inches cannot pass through the opening".

Pool owners wishing to substitute a natural barrier for a fence, whether it is a "hedge, pool cover" or any other protective device to be used in lieu of a fence enclosure, are required to provide "no less protection" than a fence with self-latching gate. Any property owner wishing to make such a substitute must seek a modification from the Bureau of State Building inspector. The site must be inspected and the decision as to the safety of the barrier and whether it qualifies for a modification of the code requirements, will be made to the State Building Inspector and the Codes and Standards Committee.

The code requirement is met if the entire pool area is enclosed with a fence not less than four feet high. It must have a self-closing and self-latching gate, with latches placed four feet above ground.

In some situations, the entire pool is enclosed by a fence that reaches all the way to the house. In this case, the door from the house that opens to the pool area, must be self-closing and self-latching as well as the outside gate to the fence. The pool requires an alarm.

There are specific code requirements for electrical that address the electrical code and energy code.


To view / apply for a building permit, please click here


Workers Compensation

Statement of Exemption - Workers Compensation Insurance

Public Act. 96-216 requires that any person engaged in construction, remodeling, refinishing, refurbishing, rehabilitation, alteration or repair work within the state be covered by Worker's Compensation Insurance, and to produce proof of such coverage to the local Building Official prior to the issuance of a building permit, unless they are specifically exempted under the law. This statement must be completed by any individual who does not have such insurance and claims exemption under the law.

Click here to view or print the application